Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reverence


I see these two prints as dealing with the theme of reverence for God. Although Qoheleth suggests that God's plans for us aren't necessarily influenced by our actions (good behavior isn't always rewarded, bad behavior isn't always punished), he still suggests we show proper respect and reverence.


Thus has God done that he may be revered

3:14 NA "I recognized that whatever God does will endure forever; there is no adding to it, or taking from it. Thus has God done that he may be revered."

Saint parades of this type are still common in traditional Italian neighborhoods in the NY/NJ area. The typical features- conveying a statue of a saint with money attached to it, a small marching band, widows dressed in black, young kids, explosions, etc. (there is an example on film in The Godfather part II) It was a subject I had wanted to work into an print and this series gave me the opportunity. I generally consider reverence to be an internal thing, but the parade provided a public example. Obviously a saint is not God, but I think the idea of reverence for things holy still holds up.

Delay not the fulfillment of a vow to God

5:3 NA "When you make a vow to God, delay not its fulfillment. For God has no pleasure in fools: fulfill what you have vowed."

I liked the quote but needed to come up with a visualization of the idea of fulfilling such a vow. Eventually I came up with this. Vows to God are often made as part of a request for divine intervention- help me with this and I promise to do that. The lighting of candles is another variation on that- pray for your cause, light a candle, and deposit a monetary offering. My change was putting the credit card machine on the candle rack. After all a credit card is a promise to pay at a later date for the thing you want right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment